[pct-l] Giardia strikes the thru's!

At 11:57 AM 7/1/03, you wrote:
>It depends on the individual but the generally agreed average incubation
>period for giardia is one week. It can however range from 2 days to over 2
>weeks.
>
>I am not sure where you got the two weeks from.

I am not an MD, but the guy who wrote "Trekking In Nepal" is: Dr Stephen
Bezruchka, MD.

He wrote "It generally takes a longer time to acquire this infection than
the bacterial ones, usually two weeks and sometimes longer after ingesting
the cysts."

A literature search showed numbers from 2 days to 30 days for the listed
incubation period, but I did come across a bunch of CDC reports where a 3-4
day incubation period was considered by the investigators to be too short
for Giardia.

So I stand corrected. A week is possible.

This really is moot for this particular discussion for the reasons hashed
over in this list. The thru hiker experience has pretty well shown that
some folks will get sick even if they always filter their water carefully,
and some who never filter will never get sick.

http://www.yosemite.org/naturenotes/Giardia.htm makes good arguments that
proper hygiene will make more of a difference than water filtering