[pct-l] Sec. H

Judson,

I agree with Marshall. Be careful on the Packwood Glacier. I fell in 91 while doing that section. In those days I always had my ice ax as a walking "stick". It saved my bacon that early morning. Also watch for Mt Goats that frequent that area.

August will give you the best weather and wildflowers in that area also.

Several people use Trout Lake as a resupply. My understanding is hitching is not to difficult. I have been in the area several times and have seen several cars and trucks. Another alternative, if you have the transportation logistics, is to hang a food stash just off trail, near road 8851 which is near Big Mosquito Lake, map H10, page 221 of the guidebook. I planned on doing this last year. The road is paved from Carson all the way there except for about 5 miles of very good gravel. You can stop at the Wind River Ranger Station and get a FS map that shows the roads all the way through to Packwood and on to White Pass if needed.

I just returned from hiking from the Bridge of the Gods to Panther Creek Campground as I did not do that section in 91. Be advised to check the data book for water info. Leave Cascade locks at first light to enable you to get to Rock creek for water. There are a "FEW" seasonal trickles but not much. I had to dry camp on an open saddle my first night then on to the tributary of Trout Creek near a paved road and on to Panther Creek the next morning. There are very few spots to camp through this area of steep side hill walking.

Two final items to note. There is a significant amount of poison oak along the trail the first 8 miles from the Bridge of the Gods. Finally, there is a logging operation going on now that has covered some of the trail with debris and earth but hopefully the trail will be restored.

Have a great hike and carry plenty of Deet!

Geezer Bill