[pct-l] Re: New goals

>Did you fail because of the length of the climb?
>Borah was a very long
>grueling one day climb with lots and lots of
>elevation gain. Kind of like Whitney, but no crowds.

No, I didn't fail due to length.  I got up above
treeline to about 10,500 feet by 6am (we had started
up before dawn) and took a break with my friend.  The
other 2 members of our party were 500 feet up the
trail and visible, so we sat and watched them climb.
We could see the entire Chicken-Out-Ridge and the
trail onwards to the summit.  It was exposed, loose
scree.  We knew that we could make it, but the longer
we watched people struggle over the ridge, the more we
thought that we could make it UP fine, but didn't
think we had the energy to make it DOWN safely.  So,
just due to lack of confidence in our stamina, we
turned back.  Next time, I'll make it on overnighter.

Sure enough, the two guys in our group did not return
to camp until after dark.  It had taken them 12 hours
to go up and back, and they were exhausted.  These are
thru-hikers who are exceptionally strong.  So, I think
my friend and I made the right call.  I plan to return
when I'm in better shape.

I've also heard that Granite and Gannett both need
ropes, crampons and maybe guides.  But I've also read
trip reports from people who picked their way
carefully up without ropes or guides.  I don't know!

The guys in my group who did make it to Borah's summit
said that it was the hardest climb they've ever made,
BUT it could've been easier if they'd chosen better
routes to walk up (the upper trail is without a
distinct path).  So, there's some evidence pointing to
the differences in opinions about each peak.  Borah
definately wasn't anything like the normal PCT route
up Whitney, which I considered an easy walk up.  The
only comparable thing I can think of is the bushwhack
(Williams Lake side) off of the backside of Wheeler
Peak, NM.

Nocona