[pct-l] JMT questions

A friend and I will be doing the JMT starting August 16th. I have a
couple of questions. The first is about mosquitoes and other biting
insects. Last year in the Emigrant Wilderness we ran into swarms of
aggressive mosquitoes about mid June. Three weeks later, we were in the
same area and were not bothered at all. What can we expect on the JMT
in mid August? Lots of mosquitoes? Very few? Other insects...horseflies
and such? Best ways to deal with the biters.

We've been told that the sun can be very intense on the JMT in August.
What are good strategies to handle the heat? Is the mylar covered
umbrella (a'la Jardine) a good idea, or is it more hassle than it's
worth? What other things could we do? Or is the heat issue not really a
problem?

How do you clean up sticky pine sap on the trail? Whenever, I camp on
pine duff it seems to get on the groundsheet, the pack and sometimes
other stuff. Seems impossible to get off in the field. Any ideas?

I'm using a Kelty Flight pack (modular, now discontinued). It's pretty
light in it's stripped down mode, but I have a couple of problems with
it. The shoulder straps are "fixed" and fit me pretty well, but not
perfectly. Does anyone have experience removing the seams and
re-attaching shoulder straps in a different position? Is this even
possible? Any leads to help me figure out how to do this and find the
best way to get a good anatomical fit?

TIA,

Ron