[pct-l] New goals

In a message dated 6/23/03 7:51:28 PM, kborski@yahoo.com writes:

<< I tried Idaho two years ago and failed
- very under-rated climb (in the guidebooks), in my >>

Did you fail because of the length of the climb? Borah was a very long
grueling one day climb with lots and lots of elevation gain. Kind of like Whitney,
but no crowds. (I did Whitney in November and had the summit to myself!)
   I am very much looking forward to Gannett (24 mile approach) and Granite
(most difficult technically of the lower 48). It is interesting to read summit
posts for these peaks with some parties saying how hard they are with ropes
and protection needed on Granite, and full crampons on Gannett (and no "wimpy"
instep ones) while others say no ropes were used at all on Granite and it was
an easy snow slog up Gannett. I am going to take a half rope on Granite just in
case I need a hand line in icy conditions but I would very much like to down
climb it without one. Some insist that a guide book is needed, but I like to
do my route finding on my own. As for Gannett, I will take crampons just in
case of icy conditions in a supposedly troublesome gully that must be used if an
infamous snow bridge is too iffy or collapsed. (one guy posted that his buddy
fell through and was all busted up  after a 25' fall and had to be rescued) A
rope here would be useless on a solo climb so I will not unnecessarily carry
one for over 50 miles. Ah the power of the Internet to gain knowledge never
ceases to amaze me