[pct-l] Feet Expansion

>> I'm not aware of anyone who hiked the trail in the early years to have
complained of, or experienced any problem with, foot expansion (perhaps it
is simply
a perception, without merit).  We carried more weight than is common today,
yet foot expansion is a common malady of today's thru-hikers. <<

Greg, I'm not sure where you're gray matter is dissolving to over recent
years, but foot elongation was a well known item 25 years ago.

>> So, what has changed?  Footware.  Could it be that a high top, leather
boot
supports the foot better and thus help to retain its shape?  Do the trail
runners, even with Super Feet inserts, simply not have sufficient structure
retain the foot shape?  <<

Maybe your boots were better than mine. I had terrible foot pain for over
1000 miles before discovering arch supports. I never recall seeing arch
supports in any boot of the bygone era. Yet, even the cheapest trail runner
today comes with arch supports. Of course they should be replaced
immediately if you're planning on any serious use of your shoes.

I can't vouch if arch supports are common in today's boots. I simply don't
even look at them on the shelves.

I would recommend that anyone planning a long hike try and get their foot
measured by a professional before hand. Especially as you get older. My feet
had permanently elongated another size. This was mostly due to collapsing
arches over the years. After putting it off too long, I finally "bit the
bullet" and had it done. I even forked over the extra cash to get custom
supports. The new supports allow me to wear one size smaller shoe.

Though was strange to have to break in the feet to the support instead of
visa versa. It'll be interesting to see how the new support/shoe combo does
on my upcoming hike. It would be nice to hike without blisters or blown out
feet for a change.

-- Fallingwater