[pct-l] Alcohol vs. Gas stoves

I'm trying to figure out what is potentially wrong with alcohol stoves.
Up to this point I've always used an MSR Wisperlite.  However, I'd like to
use an alcohol stove to save on weight and to cut back on
maintainence/repairs.  So far they look great.  Am I missing something?
Are a lot of thru hikers using these?  It seems like the only disadvantage
is a lower heat output.  But it seems like this doesn't matter for boiling
smaller portions (one liter/quart or less).  Is the fuel easy to get at
re-supply stations?

I'd appreciate any pros and cons from people who have used them.

Thanks!
Steve