[pct-l] Feet Expansion

I'm not aware of anyone who hiked the trail in the early years to have
complained of, or experienced any problem with, foot expansion (perhaps it is simply
a perception, without merit).  We carried more weight than is common today,
yet foot expansion is a common malady of today's thru-hikers.

I have large feet, size 14, and they stayed that size.  I would expect that
expansion of a large foot would be more noticible than a small, as a percentage
increase in a large foot would produce a larger volume amount than the same
percentage increase in a small foot.

So, what has changed?  Footware.  Could it be that a high top, leather boot
supports the foot better and thus help to retain its shape?  Do the trail
runners, even with Super Feet inserts, simply not have sufficient structure to
retain the foot shape?

I would be interested in John VonHoff's and past thru-hiker's opinion on
this.

Greg "Strider" Hummel
Amateur Pediatrist ;-)