[pct-l] re: 2004 Hopefuls...

Hi John,
In answer to the questions below...
Most people send axes/crampons to Kennedy Meadows.
Personally, I mailed mine home from Tuolumne Meadows,
but there was an early morning *very exposed*
snowpatch north of Ebbets Pass that I'd have preferred
to have an axe on.  I went across with poles (in
hindsight, not smart).  Everyone else went up and into
a bergschrund like formation where the ice patch had
pulled away from the rock.

Short answer, it depends on comfort level, snow
conditions, etc.

Yes, your shoes can expand.  I went from a 10.5 to a
12.  I didn't break in my new shoes -- instead, I just
bought size 12 shoes.  I used trail runners, so no
"break-in" period was required.  My first pair lasted
me more miles than I should have put on them (Campo to
Tahoe), and my feet had expanded quite a bit.  After
VVR, I cut the tops of the heels out (where they had
worn through my socks and had begun to abrade my
achilles tendons), and everything was fine.

Iron Chef

*****
Do you  mail your ice axe (and crampons) to yourself
on the trail?  If
so, where?  How long do you typically keep them
around?

I've heard that a person's foot can enlarge (swell,
expend, or ?) up to
1 ½ shoe sizes from the pounding of thru hiking....Is
that true?  If
so, how do you break in a second (or third) pair of
boots for replacement
on the trail??