[pct-l] Stealth camping

Hi Nancy!  No guarantees, but....

Bears are efficient food gatherers.  They return to where they have found
food before.  Stealth camping relies on this habit.  Camp far from water (where
others will have camped because of the convenience) and far from where you
cooked your dinner.  If you have met these two minimum requirements you should be
bear-free even camping immediately adjacent to the trail.  You may want to get
a few yards away from the trail for privacy reasons and to avoid impacting
other hikers' experience.

Stealth camping has another benefit, particularly for thruhikers.  You stop
near water and cook while it's daylight, then hike on for two or three miles to
your spot for the night.  These are two or three easy, rested miles and
really add to your total mileage for the day with seemingly little added effort.

If you meet a bear while stealth camping, you're really having bad luck.  I
have never - not once - seen a bear while stealth camping, even in a National
Park.  Nevertheless, I hang my food if possible.

Above treeline, you can usually find a sheltered spot - some with small trees
or brush - to camp.  If you're not carrying a bear canister, you might
consider an Ursack.  I use one to store my food.  Have never used a canister while
thruhiking, but will carry one on the JMT this summer.  An Ursack isn't
completely bearproof, but it will keep the marmots and other rodents at bay.  If a
bear does come around, it should give you time to convince it to leave before it
gets your groceries.  As I said, I've never actually had to test this plan.

Hope this helps.  Good lusk to you!  TrailDad
_____