[pct-l]smelling bears

I understand what you're saying, and I think the reasoning is sound.
 But this suggests that backcountry bears are primarily smell driven,
rather than visually driven.  If this were the case, then the stealth
camper wouldn't be safe sleeping with food.  Using my mutt as an
example, he can home in on a strip of bacon, which has been hidden
behind the tire on the car, from across the yard with a tailing wind.
 Goodness knows you won't find a disbeliever here, that thru's have a
tendency to broadcast a scent.  They ought to be pulling in every bear
in a 1/2 mile radius if scent were the key.

I don't have the answer, but the apparent inconsistancies are giving me
something to mull around.  An additional observation; I was watching a
hiking show on the Outdoor channel several years ago.  The trip was
along an Alaskan river, on the sandy flats of the delta, close to the
ocean.  A number of bears were in the area, and the intrepid guide took
great care in making sure his presence was made known to the animals.
 He was always looking for an escape route, and was more nervous when he
couldn't see the bears, than when they were in sight.    Yet every
night, when he set up his camp, he followed two rules.  He always cooked
and washed up several hundred yards from his sleeping area, and he
stored all his food and smellables in Hefty bag, placed inside another
Hefty, and laid on the ground at a site distant from both the cook area
and the sleeping area.  He claimed on camera to have never lost food to
a bear.  Now if a dog can smell cocaine or heroin through double
wrappings of saran wrap, packed in coffee, inside a trunk stored in a
semi, I would think that a bear could catch the scent of beef jerky
through a couple of Hefty bags.