[pct-l] Stealth camping

Sorry to sound preachy here but ...

All this talk about stealth camping has made me start wondering if this is
going to become a common practice among the usual weekend warriors.  If
so, then I think its not the best idea.  Usually the through hiker uses a
campsite to set up a single tent or tarp and sleep by himself/herself or a
partner.  Then they move on in the morning.  They would tend to practice a
very low impact method of camping as well (i.e. no camp fires, not a lot
of hanging around camp and trampling the area, etc.).  Practiced in this
way, I think stealth camping is fine.  However, if everyone starts camping
wherever they please, not too far from the trails, then our trails are
going to turn into one big campsite.  Stealth camping with three tents
isn't all that stealth and if you want someplace soft to sleep, you'll end
up sleeping on, and damaging, the alpine vegetation (remember Ray talks
about sleeping on pine duff which is very low impact).

So please, if you stealth camp, don't make a fire and use it only as a
place to sleep.  If you want to camp out, choose a designated campsite
(and take a bear canister if you're worried about bears).

OK off my soapbox now.  Sorry about that.

Steve