[pct-l] Stealth camping - a safe bet for the thru hiker

At 05:05 PM 6/19/03, Steve Courtway wrote:
>  I agree so I think the best answer for
>beginners to bear alley in the high sierra, folks who
>ask how soft it is sleeping high, is to just carry a can.

Beginner thru hikers at Campo won't be beginner's by the time they hit the
Sierra.

Bear alley is very short, considering the length of a thru hike and the
speed with which a thru hiker is moving.

Figure that Bear Alley, is from Crabtree Meadows to Toulomne Meadows, about
175 miles.

At the normal 20-25 miles a day for a thru hiker this is 7-8 days in bear
alley. Considering you can probably use bear boxes a couple of nights
(Woods Creek and Vidette Meadows come to mind as likely places,) and that
you will probably spend one night at VVR, and another at Reds Meadows, that
leaves probably 3-4 nights where a thru hiker needs a can. Add to that, you
are also hiking through bear alley before most hikers, so yogi hasn't even
moved back up the high campsites and easy pickings yet.

It seems to me that all this arguing about bear cans for 3-4 miles of use
is a waste of time.

In my experience, the loud bear can proponents are mostly weekenders
preaching to the thru hikers. (sometimes I miss Tom Reynolds' tirades....)

Once again, in the spirit of ultralight, match the gear to the need. If you
are a JMT hiker in high season, or a camp-and-sit weekender, by all means
take a can: it is worth the 2#.