[pct-l] Stealth camping

At 03:39 PM 6/19/03, Steve Courtway wrote:
>oh, by the way that bear that found you sleeping with your food
>at your stealth campsite may TEAR YOUR TENT AND BACKPACK TO SHREDS !!!

Actually, no bears found my stealth campsites in the problem bear areas,
but I took care to camp out of sight of the trail.

I DID have a bear find me while I was sleeping on my food just south of
Ashland. Lots of animals use the PCT, and looking at the tracks, I surmised
that the bear was using the PCT  on its way somewhere when it saw me lying
besides the trail (I was about 10 ft off the tread) and came over to see
what I was. When I sat up, it ran. I woke up out of a dream that a dog was
licking my face....<g>

I wasn't in a tent, so that wasn't an issue, and my pack and food were
under my feet.

Moral of the story is to avoid wildlife while camping, don't camp within
sight of a trail used by game.

YMMV, HYOH.

--
Brick Robbins

Will I live tomorrow?, Well I just can't say,
but I know for sure, I'm gonna live today.
------Jimi Hendrix