[pct-l] Backpacking with a cervical disc herniation

Christine,

I herniated a disc lower in my back last year and thought that my basketball
and hiking days were over.  I had serious pain down my leg and hiking a short
hike at the ADZ down from Mt. Laguna to Cibbets Flats this spring was torture.
 I was real depressed about this until I did a really stupid thing that
worked out great (talk about dumb luck!).  I went down a snow sled run that I had
set up for my boys and landed hard after catching some air and apparently
re-set the disc back.  The next day the pain down my leg was gone and since then I
have resumed playing full court basketball and thanking my lucky stars.

The moral of this story should be; the next time I seriously hurt my back I
am going to a good reputation chiroprator instead of to my doctor.

Good luck,

Greg "Strider" Hummel