[pct-l] Stealth camping

Pounder:

Bear spray? Leave it at home or better yet, in the store.

I carried it in the North Cascades as the PCT there (north of Stehekin) lies just within the southern range of the Canadian Grizzly. Never saw a thing; never had to use it, but slept more comfortably. I'll carry it on the CDT from Canada to at least well south of Yellowstone/Grand Teton national parks.

Carry it if you're going into Grizzly country. Think of it as a pound of comfort. Counter Assault has never failed to stop an attack when it was used, but that said, the bears did a lot a damage before they were repelled. If they're close enough to require the spray, they're close enough to really hurt you, even if they can't see or breathe well. On top of whatever pissed them off at you originally, you've just added insult to injury.

Wandering Bob