From: Christine Kudija [mailto:cmkudija@earthlink.net]
Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2003 13:34
To: judson;
Subject: Re: [pct-l] Stealth camping

At the risk of inciting further trolling on this issue, I simply do not see
the need for carrying bear spray in non-griz country.  My relatively few
bear encounters have included: watching a bear run in the opposite direction
from me in Kenney Canyon (n. Yosemite), watching a bear run in the opposite
direction from me in Sequoia NF (Coyote/Angora Peak area), watching a bear
run away from me in a campground in Mammoth (after the bear had disrupted
the contents of an ice chest someone had left on a table), watching a bear
cruise a ridge above me while camped on the PCT north of Stevens Pass,
watching mom & kids snoop around our cooking equipment at a Yosemite Sierra
camp where our food hung from a cable - one of the cubs bit down on the roll
of t.p. that we had set on a log outside our tent and mumbled imprecations
at us...; a couple of experiences of bear getting food hung in trees at
night,

and, finally, my most favorite memory - watching a young, curious brown
black bear cross the trail in front of my husband & me, then cross a small
stream and then sit upright, under a tree - it then proceeded to watch us,
appearing curious but not aggressive (considering its relaxed body posture,
sniffing nose, etc...).  It was maybe 25 yards from us, eventually got tired
of us filming him and trundled up slope & into the forest.  This was just
north of the southern Kennedy Meadows on the PCT.  YMMV, of course, and
maybe I just smell bad.  But frankly, the risk associated with having a
black bear act aggressive toward you is so low, imho, that the lb of bear
spray is an unnecessary burden.  It also might provide you with a false
sense of security in griz country - but _there_ I'd definitely take it
(better than not taking one).

Christine "Ceanothus" Kudija

"Never measure the height of a mountain, until you have reached the top.
Then you will see how low it was."  Dag Hammarskjold