[pct-l] Stealth camping

I did that exact hike in 1998 (tahoe to whitney).  what a GREAT
hike!  you guys are in for a great time.

I also used stealth camping techniques during this hike and only saw
one bear, which was in "bear alley" inside yosemite and did not
adhere to stealth camping on that one night.

the rest of the nights, we only camped like 100-200 yds off the trail
and saw no bears.  I think what contributed most to our no-bear luck
was the fact that we never camped where we cooked.  We would cook at
like 6pm and then pack up and continue hiking another 2 hrs and
locate a camping spot far from where we cooked.  We also realized our
mistake in Yosemite was to camp in heavily used camping spots near
other campers, so we really avoided that whenever possible.

email me off the list if you would like to converse more about this.

peace,
dude