[pct-l] Does anyone know exactly...

If you are asking this question, I assume that you have not been on
this list for a long time  or  are not aware that the issue of where
Bear cannisters are "required" is a well-versed topic on this list
and I do not think that you will find any _definite_ answers here.

I don't mean to be pessimistic, but there seems to be some
disagreement on what exactly what the law says.  Some say that you
merely have to keep the bears from getting your food and if you
complete a hike without incident, then that is proof that you
used "proper storage" techniques.  Others say that the _only_ form of
proper storage is a bear box or cannister.  You will hear people in
both camps with lots of "proof" on both sides.

Personally, I have never used a bear cannister in the back country in
the Sierras and I have never had a problem.  I have even spoke with
Rangers in areas where cannisters are supposedly "required" and the
rangers have never mentioned it.  On the flip side, I seem to
remember that people have posted on this list that they knew someone
or heard about someone getting a fine for improper storage.

In the end, it boils down to how much risk you are willing to accept
for:
1.  your personal safety (ie:a bear encounter), and
2.  a fine or citation in a strictly enforced area
(some would also add a 3rd risk of desensitizing bears so that they
would be more likely to attack others, although I disagree)

For me, I use stealth-camping techniques along with the preparedness
to make a bear believe that I am willing to fight for my food.
Usually, this results in the bear's realization that there are easier
places to get food.

In the end, you have to do what you are comfortable with.
The "wild"erness is "wild" and playing chicken with a bear could get
you killed.  Some people like that element of risk and view it as one
of the reasons to go to the back-country.  If that is not your idea
of enjoying the wild, then take a cannister.

[I assume no responsibility for anyone's activity in the back country
or for following any advice in this email.  Hike your own hike and do
what is best for you]

peace,
dude