[pct-l] Yellowstone VS Yosemite and Rainier

> extremely rare." The bear problem at Yellowstone used to be the worst in
the
> nation. Wonder how in the world they solved that problem without resorting
> forcing backpackers to use canisters?  And I wonder why campfires are
banned at

No need for canisters because there's a bear pole (or comparable hanging
arrangement) at each designated campsite. Actually, it's a short distance
away from the site, and its use is mandatory. Stealth camping is prohibited;
you can stay only at designated campsites, and you must reserve your space
at each site days in advance. Once you're out there, itinerary changes
aren't permitted. In other words, your trip is much more highly regulated
than any trip in the Sierra Nevada. I've done it once--a thirteen-day
backpack through Yellowstone backcountry--and it is beautiful. But I'll take
Sierra bear can requirements and the flexibility they allow any time over
that rigmarole.