[pct-l] new resource for home-made equipment (was: REIpast&present)

Point, counterpoint...

Ron wrote:

>> My problem with "Ultralight Principles" as preached by Ray and others, is
that the message that's frequently delivered, misses the point and often
doesn't provide a sound basis for evaluating equipment choices. Primarily
because the emphasis is almost solely based on weight... <<

Beyond Backpacking: "The weight of an item is entirely secondary to its
function." [e.g., the mylar-covered umbrella]

>> ... and constrained to a fairly narrow usage.<<

Beyond Backpacking: "In many ways a thru-hike is a series of day hikes; I
think that the advantages of lighter-weight packs are equally beneficial to
all hikers, regardless of the duration of their trips."

"For the person interested in reducing packweight more modestly, nearly
every one of my recommended items works well in combination with a selection
of more traditional gear."

>> The prevailing assumption is the lighter the load, the more enjoyable the
trip. It's as if there is a 1 to 1 relationship between pack weight and hike
enjoyment. <<

Beyond Backpacking: "Hiking enjoyment is a skill--not a physical motor
skill, but a mental-cum-emotional skill, an acquired ability. And as with
any skill or ability, it has to be learned--and then practiced ... [Once
learned, we become] more capable of generating happiness and feelings of
well being. But only that: capable. These positive emotions will not
automatically blossom, but at least you can start fostering them."

>> I believe in the light or ultralight experience, however it needs to be
applicable to a wide range of interest and circumstances.<<

The Ray-way Tarp Book: Lightweight shelters for backpackers and cyclists,
sea-kayakers, canoeists, scouts, and anyone else who enjoys camping.

>>Only then will it stand a chance of taking hold and having a lasting
effect. <<

Backpacker magazine cover story, February 1998: "And thus was born the
Ray-way, a blend of philosophy and innovative techniques culled from the
hard lessons learned while hiking more than 12,000 total miles."

- blisterfree