[pct-l] Re: Trip Report - north of Hwy 74 - Water at Fobes RanchYES!

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 5
> Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 11:43:01 -0700
> From: maurer@earthlink.net
> Subject: [pct-l] Re: Trip Report - north of Hwy 74
> To: "pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net" <pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net>,
> wstone@ix.netcom.com
>
> Wade,
>
> Here are the answers to your post about the Hwy 74 - I 10 section;
>
> 1. Fobes Ranch water. I don't know if any water is available at Fobes
> ranch. I had heard that someone maintains a cache at the intersection of
> the PCT and Fobes saddle, but there was no water there when I went
> through, not even empty jugs. I have always hiked with a view to not
> depending on caches, and this is a perfect example of why.

I recently worked with the PCTA out of Fobes Ranch, there is water available
in the spring below Fobes Saddle and at the water tank near the Ranch, the
water at the ranch is from a spigot in a white PVC pipe the owner sez it
will run "rusty" for a minute then clear up.

In addition to the work we did from Palm View Peak north, we cleared the
trail from Fobes Saddle toward the Ranch, there is a sign near the saddle
saying your are on private property but it's not,. the Forest Service bought
the land long ago.

The Desert Divide segment (hwy 74 to fobes saddle) is 14.93 miles 0.73 miles
longer than the guide and databooks, I haven't done the San Jacinto or San
Gorgonio segments so I couldn't give you the precise mileage.

Matt Maxon