[pct-l] new resource for home-made equipment (was: REIpast &present)

At 12:00 PM 6/12/03, Brett wrote:
>As always, the underlying premise of this sytem is, "I
>don't care to produce these goods myself, so I will let you make them for me
>instead, and then pay you for them."

Uhhh I beg to differ, I see a better underlying premise as: "Let those that
have the talent and experience do what they are good at, and let me do what
I am good at. "

I'm not going to grow my own food, or build my own car. I don't accept this
quasi religious view that making my own gear is somehow spiritually
superior. I've designed and made gear, and I tell you what, I'd much rather
buy it, and as long as what I want is available, that is exactly what I
will do.

If someone really wants to make their own gear, then by all means they
should, but don't proselytize "Ray Way" by preaching that somehow buying a
sewing machine and some syl-nylon will get one closer to god, or nature, or
yourself. If you have never sewn before, it will more likely get you
punctured fingers and perforated nylon from all the seam ripping long
before you produce anything useful.

The "Ray Way" is just one way. It is certainly not the only way. It is not
even the best way, except maybe for Ray and a few of his apostles.

As Jim Owen always says, "Hike Your Own Hike."

BTW, if you haven't read Jim's "thru hikers papers" then you might find
them enjoyable, especially part 3 where he talks about "Hike your own
hike." http://www.aldhawest.org/perspective/THP_3.htm