[pct-l] PCT Big lake youth camp to timberline--- Need Trail Info

Big Lake Youth camp is a stone's throw from the PCT - you actually can hike
right through it. The camp has good food (if you are there at meal times)
and likes hikers. They accept packages. The area is between McKenzie Pass to
the south with its volcanic landscape with Mt. Washington and to the north
Santiam Pass not far away. That section is rather flat and easy. Further to
the South are the Sisters and to the North Three Fingered Jack and Mt.
Washington. From Santiam Pass north it becomes very scenic with some
exciting ridges (that means a climb), Jefferson Park, Mt. Jefferson, and
then over another pass with great views and then down to Ollallie Lake
(resupply point). Then it is rather gentle ups and downs with a lake or two.
Be sure to stop at Little Crater Lake - exceptionally clear deep lake.
Finally, you start up the flanks of Mt. Hood until you reach a sandy ridge
and wish there was a quicker way across to Timberline Lodge (check out the
old lodge). It is a beautiful section - as long as the sun shines. From
there you might consider going another couple of days to Cascade Locks. The
section around Mt. Hood is beautiful and then going down Eagle Creek from
Indian Springs or Whatum Lake is well worth it. Enjoy. You won't be
disappointed as long as the sun shines and you can see the views. But
beware, it can rain and cloud up. So, try to be flexible with the timing.

Marshall Karon
Portland, OR
m.karon@attbi.com