[pct-l] Snow and Ice Experience

Hi, this is my first post to the list.  I am aiming for a thru hike of the PCT in a few years (2005?) and have an initial question I am hoping someone can help me with.

I am from Hawaii and have virtually no experience hiking in snow and ice.  I keep reading about glissading and self-arrest and the like.  It seems like these and others are very useful skills to have.  Does anyone have a suggestion about where I might be able to learn some of this stuff?

I've got easy access to mountains here with sufficient elevation (13,000' +) but not regular snow.  This will obviously require travel but to where?  I'd appreciate any suggestions you folks have.

Aloha,
Jean