[pct-l] using a hammock

Let's have a hammock war.  I used a Hennessey Ultralite last year from Sierra City to Cascade Locks and never had to sleep on the ground or stop early.  I hike until dark then get out my itty bitty Pulsar LED and hike on 'til I feel like quitting or see an especially good pair of trees.  Where chapparal fills the spaces between trees, I sling it across the trail.  Granted, I left it home for sections ABCD this year, and will likewise leave it home for the Sierras later this summer.  On steep forested traverses, it is the ONLY way to sleep.  If you don't have trees, it still makes a fine tarp/tent/bug bivvy - I put a hood in the rainfly so it doubles as a poncho.

-----Original Message-----
From: tsimon10 [mailto:tsimon10@cogeco.ca]
Sent: Saturday, June 07, 2003 12:24 PM
To: cjpower@runbox.com
Cc: pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: [pct-l] using a hammock

Hi Christopher,
You would definitely find it difficult to support your hammock in many
places. But perhaps the worst thing is you'd camp in less than desirable
places, stopping early or needing to go further, in order you could use a
hammock. The PCT is a "crest" trail and as such is often out of the trees.
In the parts of the PCT that I have completed, there are long treeless
stretches. These are section A, B, all the Sierras, and the Goat Rocks
Wilderness area of Washington. There are several 50 mile burnt out areas.