[pct-l] JMT trip in August

Ron - I have done the JMT twice in august and both time sin trail
runners with no ice axe.  The JMT is a very heavily used trail and by
august the path will have been beaten rugularly with the 100's of
people that went before you.  If there still is any snow on the
passes, its likely that there will be perfect steps already cut into
the snow that were made even better each time someone packed them
down by walking over them.

In 1998, the snow in the Sierras the was recorded at nearly 300% more
than normal, yet the JMT was well-traveled, clearly marked, and the
passes were more easily traversed than the Sierras north of
Yosemite.  I did the trail that year in trail runners and the only
section that I had any concern at all about was litterally the last
1/4 mile before the summit of Whitney.

In my two JMT hikes, I did not use a bear cannister.  We did not
really have any bear trouble.  We did camp our first night near
Cathedral lakes between Tuolumne and Yosemite valley and saw a bear
snoop around the tent while we were inside, but he quickly left to go
after some easier targets.  We used stealth camping techniques every
other night and never saw another bear.  There are bear boxes near
the Rea lakes and we did use them one night.  I have to say that it
was nice to not have to worry about protecting your food and just be
able to focus on resting and sleeping. :-)

When we resupplied, we did so at these places:
1. Tuolumne Meadows
2.  Red's Meadow
3.  VVR
4.  Independence over Kearsarge Pass

(one other one that we didn't use is the South Lake trailhead over
Bishop Pass.  This ends on a road like 40 miles from the town of
Bishop and was a bitch to hich-hike on the one time I did it.
Independence was a much easier and shorter hitchhike.)

Good luck.

peace!
dude