[pct-l] JMT trip in August

Uh Oh, here we go again! You brought up two subjects that are more hotly
debated than the last election and the existence of WMD in Iraq combined: Footware
and bear cans. The footware one in this case is easy: there is a very very
low probability of snow in the passes in the Sierras in mid August. As for bear
cans, good luck trying to decipher their regulations. If you abhor risk take
one. If you like risk try and get away without one pleading indignant
bafflement at the requiremnets. But note that some on the list will consider you a
dastardly no- good nik criminal worthy of a $1,000,000 fine with a punishment of 2
years in a cage with a 1600 pound grizzly (and no gun) with Jim Whittaker for
company, and the cause of the demise of the entire ecosystem of the greater
Sierra area if you so choose to ignore the "current" law. Be sure to check in
hourly to get the latest revisions, and get it in writing or else you are at
the mercy of local interpretation. Or just not go at all in protest as someone I
know did. That'll teach em! (Question would a 1600 pound grizzly just eat the
bear can or would it go for the softer human -- or both of the above. Fake
pictures as proof not allowed)