[pct-l] thru-hiking in 2005

SophiesHuman1@aol.com writes:

<<
 I'll will be thru-hiking the pct in2005. I did the AT in 99 with my dog. Do
 most people solo the pct? Will I need a compass? >>
Many people solo the PCT, but it would be a rare hiker indeed who didn't make
the acquaintance of other thru hikers along the way. You don't need a
compass, but I would carry one just in case you got off the trail for some reason and
lost your bearings. It almost happened to me. I put my pack down at a
campsite to search out a spring and before I knew it, I was disoriented. I knew that
the clouds generally move from west to east, and I knew for certain what side
of the trail I was on, so I followed the clouds and it worked If it had been a
clear day ----