[pct-l] Hammock on PCT?

Two hikers, Nathan and ?,  who were at the Kickoff, one of which is a cousin
of Paul Hacker (PCT 1977), called him from Cajon Pass and had him bring them
the Hennessey Hammocks that they bought at the Kickoff and traded their
homemade tarps with him.  One has subsequently suffered a bad pulled muscle in his
lower leg and is resting a few days hoping it will repair and he can carry on.

IMHO, carrying a tarp-tent in southern California in most typical weather
years will work and then trading to a hammock for the Sierra and north could
work.   Yep, there are stretches where you may not find a proper set-up for a
hammock, however, with the included rain fly you can easily set up a tarp-like
system with it and get by most conditions.  If it gets really nasty you could set
it up on the ground with trekking poles.

I like the idea and have been playing with my hammock a bit.  It is a great
addition to the shelter alternatives and I plan to use it for several up coming
trips to get my feet wet (or rather, keep from!).

IMHO,

Greg "Strider" Hummel

P.S.  Has anyone heard from the other "Strider" who was at the Kickoff and is
supposedly hiking the PCT this year?