[pct-l] Re: Apache Springs camp site

Mike,

Regarding Apache Springs:  I think you may have
already gotten your questions answered...but wanted to
let you know that I camped on the saddle above Apache
Springs.  It's a steep climb up to that camp, a hard
one to make on tired legs at the end of the day.  But
there is a very large flat area with plenty of places
to tent or tarp, and it's a bit breezy but somewhat
protected.

The trail to the spring drops straight off the side of
the flat area and descends approximately 800 feet down
in 0.5 miles.  This trail is lined with very sharp
scratchy-stiff knee- to thigh-high bushes; they often
invade the trail.  You should have some high gaiters
or strong pants to wear down the trail to prevent a
lot of pain.  I don't know anything about the
longevity of flow from the spring itself during warmer
months, but I would think it year-long.  The worst
thing about this campsite is going down to get water
and then coming back up that awful side trail.  But
there aren't a whole lot of other options.  Just be
aware of it in advance, and maybe it won't be so
terrible.

Good luck,
Nocona