[pct-l] Re: Diamox - Something to Know

| >| I once took a diabetic woman up whitney who was
feeling the effects
| >| of altitude and decide dto "borrow" some Diamox
from a fellow
| >| climber.  Everyone has heard of Diamox and how it
is suppose dto help
| >| with altitude sickness, so she figured "yeah!
that's what I need.

PCT-Lers,

Please also be aware that Diamox is ONLY A
PREVENTATIVE medication intended to be taken (by
qualifying individuals) before the ascend to altitude.
 I learned that hard way that it can exacerbate
altitude sickness if you take it after the onset of
symptoms and after you ascend to altitude.  This has
to do with its diuretic effect, and I know from
personal experience, having had to end my thru-hike in
the High Sierra due to severe pulminary edema.  I was
offered, and took, Diamox by a fellow hiker while very
sick at altitude, also thinking it may help me.  Big
mistake!  Don't repeat that foolishness yourself!  You
can get really desperate when you get sick and you are
out in the backcountry, but the only true cure for
altitude sickness is to go DOWN - the sicker you are,
the faster you need to get down out of the mountains.

Nocona