[pct-l] Mt Whitney

Hi, Jane,

Imho, I'd definitely go with the trail shoes for Whitney, if you're already
conditioned and accustomed to hiking in trail shoes.  The trail in places is
almost freeway-like (but filled with friendly & enthusiastic folks) and
generally the surface is great.  It's actually one of my favorite trails to
hike, although access these days is so limited.  The switchbacks do tend to
be rocky (you'll see) and the last 2 miles above Trail Crest can meander in
several areas towards the summit, with some tread well-defined and other
tread not so well-defined.  I personally think your feet will be much
happier in trail running shoes, especially on the way down.  Just make sure
that the shoes are sized appropriately to allow for some (not PCT-scale,
though) swelling.

Do you still need input on groceries?  ;-)

Christine "Ceanothus" Kudija

"Never measure the height of a mountain, until you have reached the top.
Then you will see how low it was."  Dag Hammarskjold