[pct-l] Hat Creek Rim conditions?

> Lassen NF staffers last week reported the trail to be clear of snow, with
> no known obstacles or problems. Daytime temps in the region are in the high
> 70s. But one of their official backcountry rangers had yet to survey the
> section this year. The report came secondhand from a couple of horsemen.

70s sound low to me... it's 90 right now in Susanville and I would
expect Hat Creek Rim to be at least as warm.

> I'm going out with eight liters of water for 30 miles, in 14 hours. I'd
> originally considered 12 liters, with the possibility that temps on the
> exposed rim could get up to the 90s. But the thought of 24 lbs of water was
> ... extreme even for me.

You might check with Amigo to see if the water cache at Road 22 is stocked.
Better yet, stash your own.

> And while I'm here, jumping back to a segment *before* Old Station -- does
> anyone have any motel and restaurant picks for Chester? If you have a trail
> town memory there that's very good or very bad with food and lodging, let
> me know. Seems like too few thru-hikers consider Chester as a major town
> stop, and that's a pity ...

By far the best food I've had in that area is 1.5 miles *west* of
the PCT (i.e. about 10 miles west of Chester) on SR 36 at St. Bernard's
Lodge.

Have fun!

--John