[pct-l] Mt Whitney - Which Boots

>> There have been many helpful responses to my questions.  Thank you very
much.  I am still studying out the trip.  Thats part of the fun, after all.
I have heard that boots with a steel shank are the only way to go since the
trail on Mr. Whitney is all rock.  Have also read in "Beyond Backpacking,"
that lightweight is better,  Any comments? <<

Jane,

Just a quick comment first. When replying back to a digest, please edit out
the rest of the digest before posting the message. Posting an 11K email to
several hundred people just waist internet bandwidth.

As to the best footwear, that's in the eye of the beholder. Whitney's been
climbed many times in everything from heavy boots to running shoes to
sandals. If it gets you up and back comfortably and safely, go for it.

If you are unsure, try out a few shorter less sever hikes with a variety of
shoes to see which works best for you. I personally prefer trail runners,
but then they're not for everyone.

-Ron