[pct-l] Sign at Joshua Springs

JD

Well, JD sorry it took me so long to answer your comments about my post on
Joshua Springs. I had to do some research.

First let me explain why I am concerns about the sign posted by BLM at Joshua
Springs which reads "WATER NOT SAFE FOR DRINKING"

My son and I were backpacking from Walker Pass to Whitney. The temperature
was 115 degrees. We arranged to meet at 12 noon to have lunch together. He is
much younger then I and usually several miles ahead. At lunch he was nearly out
of water. We arranged to meet again at Joshua Springs four miles ahead. When I
arrived at Joshua Springs he left a note after he read the sign saying "WATER
IS UNSAFE FOR DRINKING" The note read, "Dad water unsafe for drinking will go
to next water hole about 15 miles ahead." Remember temperature is 115
degrees. I knew I would find him straddled across the trail. I walked the 1/4 mile
down to spring and filled up two quarts of water. I found my son four miles from
Joshua Springs as I suspected collapsed across the trail.  His first words
were "Dad I'm dying." I was able to give him (The unsafe water) which saved his
life. We double back to Joshua Springs and spend the might there, loader
ourselves up with the "Unsafe Water"
In your statement you wrote ."Let's keep this to the Trail and leave our
resentments out of it" I believe I am right on the trail. If you want to call it
resentment find. I am trying to save some backpacker's life. Several other
backpackers has also passed the springs after reading the Illegal sign and had
similar problems.

Now after some research I can now back up my claim that the sign should not
be there. It is illegal and should be taken down. I wrote to BLM and got this
response. Please read the email from BLM.

Email from BLM

The sign should say that the water is not tested for safe drinking which
would require testing at least quarterly for various substances and we are
not currently set up for such testing. (A variety of Federal and State
regulations apply related to water.) Also, the springs at Chimney Creek
Campground and Joshua Tree Spring may not be safe for drinking because they
exceed maximum contaminant levels (MCL) for naturally occurring URANIUM.
The MCL for uranium is 20 picocuries per liter (pCi/l) and the water for
Chimney Creek usually tests at about 50 pCi/l. Joshua Tree Spring is
usually just above the MCL for uranium. Therefore, the water is not
recommended for drinking or food preparation. On the other hand, hikers on
the PCT are often in desperate need of water and these two sources present
a minimum hazard for casual use since PCT hikers treat or filter their own
water. (Understand, of course, that filtering or treating removes most
contaminants, but not uranium.) Let me know if you need additional
information: Michael Ayers, 661-391-6120.
                      Michael Ayers/CASO/CA/BLM/DOI@BLM

My email to BLM

I am trying to get information on why at Joshua Tree Springs located at
mile marker 569.3 along the Pacific Crest Trail located north of Walker Pass
has
a sign water is unsafe for drinking. The same with Chimney Creek Camp Ground.
understand that Indians, early Settler and Outfitters used the water for
hundreds of years.

Email from JD

Lonetrail

If you make political and/or snide comments "[Thanks to Erin Brokovich
thedeep pocket environmentalist.)", you should back it up with facts or many of
your future statements could have less of a positive impact.Let's keep this to
the Trail and leave our resentments out of it.
JD-----

Original email to Richard

  Richard>> If you are speaking about Grizzly Bill the caretaker at Chimney
Creek take> anything he says with a grain of salt. I have stopped there several
times and> find Grizzly Bill to be a typical back country character, sometime
funny. sometime bullish He spends a lot of time alone and set in his ways but
has a kind heart and will go out of his way to help you. Talk about his
pickup or his dogs. Buy some cold pop from him since the water is supposed to be
poison. (Thanks to Erin Brokovich the deep pocket environmentalist.)  He loves
the Internet and is most likely reading these posts. So Hi Bill.
lonetrail