[pct-l] Hiking Next Year

Hi,

I saw the post collecting names of hikers for next
year.  I'm planning a nobo thru-hike starting April
'04.  I tried to go this year, but couldn't get it
together.  Next year is a done deal, as I've already
informed my employer and will sell the house in the
fall.  I don't recommend informing THE MAN so early,
but conditions were OK for doing so where I work.

Nocona is the trail name.  Karen Borski the societal
one.

I'm planning to follow the list all year, but
sometimes I post and never get any answers or
digest version and don't check mail every day, so I
tend to fall behind the posts.  But I'll be tied in
and listening for any news, nonetheless.

Since I've already hiked SoCal before, I am looking
forward to starting off this time with familiarity
with the trail and no fear of "the terrible desert."
Also, in order to lessen newbie stress on the body,
I'm planning either a month-long jaunt on the AT just
before the PCT or an early PCT start.  The early PCT
start means beginning on April 10 and feeling free to
hike only 10-mile days for the first month.  I know
there would probably be cold, maybe snowy, weather in
the Lagunas and San Jacinto range...but I could
prepare for that in advance.  I could take off whole
days early on and avoid the foot and leg problems that
seemed rampant to me on my first attempt.  Almost
every hiker I met in Tehachapi was holed up with
either bad blisters or leg/foot injuries.  We were all
moving along at 20 miles a day fairly early in the
hike.  The AT grants you the time to start slow, but
you don't normally have that luxury on the PCT with a
late April start.  Anybody who has experience
beginning a thru-hike in early April, I would love to
hear about it.

Look forward to seeing hikers again...10 months and
counting.  The city and fluorescent lights.

Nocona