[pct-l] PCT verses Mt. Everest

 Another 137 climbers summited Everest last week bringing  a total over 1,700
times the Mt. has been climbed. More climbers have topped Everest than hikers
that have thru-hiked the PCT. Just when it seems our numbers may be be
catching up, Everest weather smiles and allows more hordes to the top . Seems like
roughly 140 hikers a year thru-hike the PCT . Of course on a high snow year
like we had a few years ago , only 9 finished. ( Other fun facts::: About 300
hikers finshed the AT in 2000 out of 3,000 starters)  PCT has between 250 and 350
hopefuls each year with 50 % completing their trip on an average year.
    Everest climbs cost 175 lives so far with 56 being Sherpas who do a brunt
of the work on the mountain. Also cost to climb is around 65,000 per climber.
( In 1963, the total cost for the American  Everest Team was 405,000 dollars
which includes wages for 909 porters)
   Chuck Long's" PCT Guide"  which told of all the 1975 thru-hikers and what
they used, gear taken, etc. Of the 27 hikers in the book, many did not finish.
In fact ,up until Ray Jardine came along , fewer than a hundred souls had
completed the PCT through the mid 80's. Everest had a numbers lead of us even
then.
   What does all this mean?? Nothing, just facts for the campfire on a lazy
day!!!