[pct-l] paying for food drops

"Kurt P. Herzog" wrote:

> Dave said:
> >>I skip all places that charge for mail drops. and even if
> >>running low if they sell supplies i won't do business with
> >>them I will find another place. It don't cost them money
> >>to take a package that come sin the mail ands et it on a shelf.
>
> Actually it DOES cost them money.  In the cases of Muir Trail
> Ranch and Red's Meadow stores, they have to pickup the package
> at the post office in town and transport it to their store.
> They also provide bear and rodent-proof storage, a far cry from
> "sitting it on a shelf".  When I did my JMT trip some years
> back, both Red's and Muir Trail Ranch each had a separate, (and
> substantial) building with dozens of parcels.  These folks
> also dispose of the packaging material and whatever other trash
> you leave behind with them.  Then at the end of the season there
> are always packages "left over" for whatever reason, that must
> be disposed of.
>
> They provide a real service where they probably break even at best.
> If you don't want to spend the money on a drop, fine.  As far as
> I was concerned I was happy to pay the fees for what has (so far)
> turned out to be a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

Llamalady adds:
This is ditto for VVR.  They transport the resupply packages in their
own vehicle from Lakeshore to the resort, and store it in a varmint
proof container, and deal with hiker's trash and unwanted items, and
have to deal with leftovers at end of season.  They treat hikers really
well too.  I always drop a bunch of money when I visit there, and I
don't mind a bit.
llamalady