[pct-l] trail journals -> trail emotions

Excellent topic.  As someone who kept a diary in '99
(http://homepage.mac.com/hshires/pcthike), and as someone who hiked at least
90% solo, I found my daily journal to be welcome conversation.  At first it
was between me and an Internet audience and then, as the months went by,
between me and a sort of out-of-body me.  The conversation wandered between
pure recount and dream-state impression and truly become a daily companion.
It also happened to reside in my Pocketmail computer which meant I could
review it or file it away as I saw fit.  Every night I would resume the
conversation and every day I would outline the topics for discussion that
night.  As Mexico receded and Canada drew closer, I grew to cherish the
nightly opportunity.

For two years afterwards I could rewind the hike and play it back in my
head.  I remembered--and still do--every camping spot.  I could remember
every valley, every ridge, every river crossing, and every trail meeting.
In "normal" life, I can barely remember what I did yesterday. The intensity
of the hiking experience--I too cried from things both painful and
beautiful--coupled with the continual conversation changed my brain
chemistry in a way that no experience before or after has or will every do.

For those contemplating a thruhike, or even a section hike, keep a journal.
Share it with us if you see fit but make it part of your daily routine.  You
will be amply rewarded.

Henry