[pct-l] Pink Motel, and a tip for other thruhikers

My wife and I finally made it to Warner Springs yesterday, after about 13 days since we left the border (and that included 2 zero days and one 2-mile day).  But now we're ready to ramp up our mileage, and hope to get to Interstate 10 by May 17th, with a zero day in Idyllwild.  I was wondering how one gets to the Pink Motel.  Do we need to call ahead?  And can/should we hike to it, or be picked up.  Forgive my ignorance -- I've heard a lot about the place, but it slipped my mind how to get there.

Also, I thought I'd pass along some info about lodging in Warner Springs.  The town guide indicates that there is none, but that is no longer true.  As I type this, I am sitting in a rented room in the Warner Springs Ranch resort.  It's pricy -- $88 for the room, but it can be split with another hiker down to $44.  The resort has a great dining room/restaurant, at which we ate last night.  There's also a hot pool, fed by the local hot springs (with their accompanying sulfur smell), and this pool is free to guests of the resort.  Plus, it's open until midnight.  We both highly recommend it.

Anyway, we'll be starting section B today.  I guess I can officially say I'm a thruhiker now!

Phoenix, PCT 2003

This mobile message sent using PocketMail.
Sign up for unlimited e-mail at www.PocketMail.com.