[pct-l] Spectra Material used in the New G5 Pack.

At 02:54 PM 5/1/03, Marge Prothman wrote:
>I would like someone smarter than me to explain about the Spectra Material
>used in the New G5 Pack.  My Google search came up with some of the
>following and none of it makes any sense to me.

More about spectra than you ever wanted to know

http://www.spectrafiber.com/

  Spectra=AE fiber is one of the world's strongest and lightest fibers. A
bright white polyethylene, it is, pound-for-pound, ten times stronger than
steel, more durable than polyester and has a specific strength that is 40
percent greater than aramid fiber.

Spectra=AE fiber is made from ultra-high molecular weight polyethylene that
is used in a patented gel- spinning process. Polyethylene is a remarkably
durable plastic, and scientists at Spectra Technologies have captured the
tremendous natural strength in the molecular backbone of this everyday
plastic to create one of the world's strongest and lightest fibers. The
gel-spinning process and subsequent drawing steps allow Spectra=AE fiber to
have a much higher melting temperature (150=B0C or 300=B0F) than standard
polyethylene.

With outstanding toughness and extraordinary visco-elactic properties,
Spectra=AE fiber can withstand high-load strain-rate velocities. Light enou=
gh
to float, it also exhibits high resistance to chemicals, water, and
ultraviolet light. It has excellent vibration damping, flex fatigue and
internal fiber-friction characteristics, and Spectra=AE fiber's low
dielectric constant makes it virtually transparent to radar.

Spectra=AE fiber is used in numerous high-performance applications, includi=
ng
police and military ballistic-resistant vests, helmets and armored
vehicles, as well as sailcloth, fishing lines, marine cordage, lifting
slings, and cut-resistant gloves and apparel.

Honeywell also converts Spectra=AE fiber into the Spectra Shield=AE family =
of
specialty composites for armor and other applications.
--
Brick Robbins                       mailto:brick@fastpack.com