[pct-l] JMT in june

 Hi all-

My wife and I are planning on starting the JMT June 1 at Horseshoe
Meadows.  Everyone I've talked to about such an early start said that it
is not an unreasonable thing to do, and in fact, there are some
advantages including snow bridges, less bear activity, and solitude.  As
for mountaineering skills, I've been told by my hiking friend (completed
Triple Crown) that being good with a map and compass and having general
back country skills is sufficient,as you learn on the fly about timing
the passes, avoiding rotten snow, etc.  As for loosing a snow covered
trail, he suggested that the Sierra are some of the most navigable
mountains to be in.  However, since I am new to all this and in light of
the recent snow, I am wavering on delaying until the 15 of June.  It's
hard to predict whether 2 weeks will make a difference.  I suppose we
will go and deal with what mother nature gives us, with our bail outs in
close mind.  Does anyone have any input?  I would love the advice.

On snowpack...I was under the impression that the amount isn't the
critical parameter, but whether is has consolidated.  How to predict the
time of consolidation, this is beyond me.  Any of you Jedi PCT'ers
please speak up.

Thanks again for all the help over the months.  I hope this isn't
totally off base.  I'm just really relaying information given to me by a
seasoned hiker.  We are very excited and we hope that our June 1 plans
are kosher.  Please offer your comments on this.

Peace OUt,
Nate