[pct-l] Entering the US via Canada

I've been gone for the last few days or I would have posted this earlier.
As of last August, crossing into the US at an unmanned crossing (ie the PCT)
was a federal offense carrying a $5000 fine (I think that was the figure).
I'm not sure what the penalties would be for a nonUS citizen.  However, the
thing to remeber is that it is rather unlikely that anyone be at the
crossing, and the only way, I would assume, that they can fine you is to
actually see you crossing from Canada to the US.  I dont want to encourage
breaking the law, but who would know?  -Lisa