[pct-l] MSR white gas stoves - warning - LONG

. Canisters are heavy and expensive. You will NOT find canisters at MOST pct
stops and none anywhere near the trail for nearly all of Wa. and Or. Big Bear
City, Ashland, and S. Lake Tahoe are probably the ONLY places on the trail
that sell them
 Even if you carry more alcohol, the home made alcohol stove weighs about a
pound less than a whisperlite
 It's all about saving weight versus covenience.
 Whisperlites are dangerous. Many people over prime them and the resulting
fireball can engulf the fuel bottle and melt the plastic pump. The first ones
had a flammable braided fuel line that depended on the user putting a heat
reflector in place to protect it. Guess what- people forgot to use the heat
sheild. They have since replaced the fuel tube with a metal braided one -
probably after several lawsuits.  Makes you wonder what they were thinking to
begin with
 I've seen many of them clog up. Once on Rainier, a climber's Whisperlite
repeatedly clogged up . I took the entire thing apart. Then I literally
watched the tiny jet orfice clog with impurities as  the pump squirted gas
through it. The gas has to be clean. Try pouring Colemans thru a filter. Much
gunk left behind
  I used a wood burning stove on my thru hike and would do so again - no fuel
worries whatsoever and I could boil up a gallon of hot water if I so desired.