[pct-l] Several questions concerning a first attempt

Umbrella: I took an umbrella on the PCT in 2002.  I hardly ever used it.
It came in most handy when it started raining in the middle of the night
when I was sleeping out.  If you hike with hiking poles, the umbrella
stays closed.  Some people manage to rig it to their packs, but I
couldn't see it being worth the effort.  I had mild weather in the
desert though.  Had it been hotter, I might have opted to use the
umbrella with mylar more.

Water:  I started with Aqua Mira, then moved to it as a backup, opting
instead for a PUR Hiker filter.  I transitioned with a heavier and less
effective MSR WaterWorks II.
I planned too much, and shook up my life too much to have my trip be
ruined by bugs I couldn't even see.  The PUR Hiker is light and
effective.

Tarp: I set up my tarp just a few nights on the trail.  I don't know
tundra, but I imagine there are not many rocks.  On the PCT, there will
most likely be rocks that you can use to help set up.  (Tie your line to
a small rock and place a large rock on the line to hold it in place.)
Most of the time you can sleep out or can find an adequate (soft) spot
to set up the tarp.  If you are like most hikers, you have many miles in
which to choose a good spot.

Bag/Quilt:  I went with a Western Mountaineering Ultralite bag (20
degree down bag 33 oz).  My bag was my secret honey on the trail.  I'd
get in and fall in love all over again.  You can use a bag as a quilt
(which I do most nights), but it's harder to use a quilt as a bag.  The
extra weight was worth it for me.

N->S: Also consider that with a North to South hike you'll be arriving
in the desert at the driest time of year (Sept. Oct.).  The caches will
not likely be stocked and many/most seasonal sources will be long dry.
If you go S->N starting in late May, it will be a race and a gamble with
the snows up north.

You could consider a flip: hike from Campo to say Agua Dulce, then jump
up to Manning Park and head south.  Beware of the Sierra in September
and October though.  Could be great.  Could be cold/wet/snowy.  Perhaps
get through them in July, then flip.

Cupcake

Message: 12