[pct-l] Mailing alcohol fuel via postal mail

--
Hi All,

My intention is certainly not to start a flame war here (no pun intended) b=
ut I didn't find good definitive answers in either the BPL or PCT-L archive=
s=2E

This question had been eating at me while I am finally putting the last tou=
ches on my boxes for 2003. I did some research on mailing alcohol fuel and =
here is what I understand from this USPS document. I am not saying I know t=
his is correct, just my summary of what I read in this pretty well written =
and easy to understand document.

http://pe.usps.gov/text/dmm/C023.htm#Xap5601

Denatured Alcohol: Flashpoint 61 degrees F (falls in the <73 degrees catego=
ry)

So to mail alcohol:

    Ship 1 pint (16 oz) or less in a plastic bottle, wrapped in absorbent m=
aterial to soak up in case of spill. In a Secondary container     (like a z=
iploc) and then in a durable container (box). OR 1 quart (32 oz) in a metal=
 container (same absorbent, seconary, and         durable containers apply)

Add the following to the address label and you are

    Consumer Commidity
    ORM-D
    Surface Shipping Only

Applicable paragraphs from above document link:

-----
c=2E ORM-D (Other Regulated Material) material is a limited quantity of a h=
azardous material that presents a limited hazard during transportation due =
to its form, quantity, and packaging. In almost all instances, the proper s=
hipping name for an ORM-D material is consumer commodity. Not all hazardous=
 material permitted to be shipped as a limited quantity can qualify as an O=
RM-D material.

d=2E Consumer commodity is a hazardous material that is packaged and distri=
buted in a quantity and form intended or suitable for retail sale and desig=
ned for consumption by individuals for their personal care or household use=
 purposes. This term can also include certain drugs or medicines. Not all h=
azardous material permitted to be shipped as a limited quantity can qualify=
 as a consumer commodity.

-----

a=2E Flammable liquid means a liquid that has a flashpoint of not more than=
 141=B0F (60.5=B0C), or any material in a liquid phase that has a flashpoin=
t at or above100=B0F (38=B0C).

-----

Flammable liquid is prohibited in international mail. Flammable liquid with=
 a flashpoint of 20=B0F (-7=B0C) or below is prohibited in domestic mail. O=
ther flammable liquid is prohibited in domestic mail via air transportation=
 but is permitted via surface transportation if the material can qualify as=
 an ORM-D material and meet the following conditions as applicable:

a=2E The flashpoint is above 20=B0F (-7=B0C) but no more than 73=B0F (23=B0=
C); the liquid is in a metal primary receptacle not exceeding 1 quart, or i=
n another type of primary receptacle not exceeding 1 pint, per mailpiece; e=
nough cushioning surrounds the primary receptacle to absorb all potential l=
eakage; the cushioning and primary receptacle are packed within a securely =
sealed secondary packaging that is placed within a strong outer packaging; =
and each mailpiece is plainly and durably marked on the address side with "=
Surface Mail Only" and "ORM-D" immediately following or below the proper sh=
ipping name.

----
1=2E7Package Markings

Each mailpiece containing a mailable hazardous material must be plainly and=
 durably marked on the address side with the required shipping name and UN =
identification number. The UN identification number is not required on a ma=
ilpiece that contains an ORM-D material. A mailable ORM-D material must be =
marked on the address side with "ORM-D" or "ORM-D AIR," as applicable, imme=
diately following or below the proper shipping name. The proper shipping na=
me for a mailable ORM-D material is consumer commodity. Mailable ORM-D mate=
rial sent via surface transportation must be marked on the address side as =
"Surface Mail Only."

peace,

-R