[pct-l] Re: Esbit Tab tested

Hey Monte,

Interesting test.

Test tip. In your covered, 1.2L ti pot add 750ml of
water and 2 packages of Ramen. Ensure you're using an
adequate windscreen.

Your noodles will be completely cooked in less than 10
minutes with esbit tab left over. This works above
12,000 feet as experienced.

Your windscreen, a double layer of aluminum foil,
should have a 1/2 inch gap or less around the pot,
extending up to or past the pot handle. You don't need
any holes in the foil, the uneven ground usually allows
enough air to pass.

Yes, over time, you will have build up on the bottom
of your pot. I cleaned my twice in 3 months.

I've used gas, alcohol and esbit over the years. On
a long distance hike watching people trying to find
Heet for their stoves was like junkies looking for a
fix, it was hilarious!

Also, here's a 'weight over time' test by thru-hiker.
http://www.thru-hiker.com/articles.asp?subcat=2&cid=57

In my opinion, Esbit is the only way to go on a big
hike.

Scott Parks

---
Home      : http://stillroaming.tripod.com