[pct-l] Several questions concerning a first attempt

Howdy.  My name is William Scoular.  I am a high
school teacher in Koliganek, Alaska, an Eskimo village
north of Bristol Bay. My brother and I hiked a
beautiful portion of the trail last summer, and I
would like to through-hike this year.

I just finished reading Beyond Backpacking.  Since
there is not a "thru-hiking" community out here, I
have been almost solely influenced by Jardine's book.

I have several questions that I would like some
feedack on if anybody has the time:

1. Does anybody hike with an umbrella and when is it
useful?  I find that my unbrella does not work in the
driving, windy rains out in Alaska.  What should I
expect on the trail?

2.  What is the best, lightweight system for filtering
water if you can't make your own filter?

3.  I am expiramenting with sleeping under a tarp.  I
find that it is difficult to pitch a tarp in bad
weather on the barren tundra.  Will there be many
sections on the trial where I can expect barren
landscape and extreme weather?

4.  If I opt for a sleeping bag rather than a quilt,
does anyone have any suggestions for a functional
light-weight bag?

5.  Finally, I get off of work in late May.  I have
ordered a permit to go South to North starting late
May, but I am considering leaving North to South in
July in order to avoid being in the desert in June.
How
much snow might I encounter going North to South on
the trail?  Can I safely wear running shoes in
Northern Washington?  Does anyone have any suggestions
or  warnings about about a North to South journey?

Thanks for your patience with the long email. My
questions have been accumulating for a while.  I'll
try to keep it short next time.  I would really
appreciate any answers I can get.

   Journey well,

   William