[pct-l] FW: Mt. Rainier

Opps, meant to send this to the list, sori Stride

Jared,
For what it is worth, a few years ago 'this old gal' went up the Camp
Sherman side of the Mt. Rainer with all my Kids. They seem to think I needed
to do that, the first part is really just a big long slug (which I dislike).
>From Camp Sherman, the technical part begins and you are roped up.  I
elected not to do this, because if I could not make it, then the entire rope
would have to come back down with me. They would not have left me sitting on
the mountain by myself.  So I elected to wait at Camp Sherman for them to
summit and come back down, which they all did.

When I went up, I rented everything I needed from REI, ice axe, plastic
boots, crampons. Did not need the guide service, my boys have summited Mt.
Rainer many times and they seem to think they own the mountain, it was in
our back yard. It is expensive to go with the guide service and also to rent
everything you need.  But do not sell Mt. Rainer short, weather can move in
quickly and people do die on the mountain most years.

Cheers,

Marge   [The Old Gal]
http://www.prothman.org/marge